My latest obsession. Sunflower Seeds.
I’ve discovered a delightful alternative to almond butter and it’s taken over my life. Sunflower Seeds make GREAT nut butter! They are a great source of Vitamin E and a decent source of magnesium.
- Fat soluble antioxidant
- Prevents free-radicals from oxidizing cholesterol, good for the heart.
- A 1/4 c. of seeds contains 62% of the RDA for Vit E
- IT’S AMAZING AND ESSENTIAL
- Bone Health
- Balances calcium levels
- Combats against muscle cramps, soreness.
As I walked through my local Trader Joe’s, I spied something awesome on the NEW ITEM shelf… Macadamia Nut Meal!
So as soon as I got home, I created this little nut butter blend. These nuts are pretty oily so it doesn’t take to long to process them into a butter.
Sunflower Macadamia Nut Butter
2 c. sunflower seeds (raw or roasted)
1 c. macadamia nut pieces
salt to taste
- Toss ingredients in a food processor and process until it reaches a buttery consistency. This will take a while, so just let it go. Maybe stop every minute or so to scrape down the sides.
After this creation, I decided to go for another! You’ve heard of peanut butter cookies, right?Well, you know where I’m going with this then…
1 cup sunflower macadamia nut butter
1/2 cup maple sugar (also at Trader Joe’s)
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a food processor, combine butter and sugar.
- Add egg, soda, salt, and vanilla.
- Form 1 1/2 Tbsp. of batter into a ball.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Flatten cookies with a fork
- Bake for 10 mins until golden around the edges.
- Let Cool. Then Eat.